At decisionLab, we are passionate about developing tools to help our clients make better business decisions, and helping them transition to an increasingly digitised world that is increasingly interested in AI and data science. We are looking to build the range of technical expertise and experience in our software engineering team. At decisionLab, you will play a major role in designing software architectures, developing software (especially web) products and making them work in a production environment at scale. You will also get a chance to work with data scientists, AI and machine learning experts, mathematical modellers, optimisation experts and simulation modellers in multi-disciplinary teams tackling cutting edge projects together.
We are seeking to appoint full-time Software Engineers across a range of experience levels with strong quantitative (e.g. mathematical, scientific or engineering) backgrounds.
Our intention is to appoint a range of individuals with diverse and complementary skills and specialisms in order to build the right team. There will be opportunities to work across the full spectrum of software engineering, including design, front-end development, back-end development, databases, integration and deployment across a rich variety of technical environments. The right candidates may have experience or interest in all of these areas, strong in several or be particularly strong in just one.
Key tasks will include:
- Working in close collaboration with clients to understand their problem, and turn it into a technical solution
- Working in a Scrum team and following agile development practices
- Supporting the design and delivery of technical solutions from initial requirements capture to development and deployment
- Writing readable, reusable and tested code, and following the company’s development processes
- Mentoring junior engineers and promoting excellent engineering practices
- Taking an active role in the wider knowledge-sharing that happens across the company, and keeping yourself and your team up to date on the newest emerging tools and trends across all aspects of software engineering and its application relevant to our work.
To qualify for the role you must:
- Have a good degree in Computer or Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Engineering or a related subject with a significant programming component
- Be fluent in Python and ideally other programming languages
- Programming experience solving real-world problems as part of a team
- Be adaptable, a fast learner and good team player
- Have good communication and problem-solving skills
- Have experience of some of the following:
- Back-end web technologies, e.g. Flask, Django or similar
- API design and documentation, e.g. RESTful, GraphQL and SOAP
- Cloud architecture design and deployment
- Serverless deployment to AWS, Azure and Microsoft
- Advanced docker experience and the design of microservices
- Continuous integration using CircleCI, Travis, Jenkins or similar
- Design and implementation of relational databases at scale
- NoSQL technologies, especially MongoDB, DynamoDB, Neo4J and other graph databases
- Use of the Apache data stack, especially Spark and Kafka
- Object-oriented software design principles
- Agile software development
- Version management tools, especially git
It would be an advantage to have some of the following:
- A postgraduate degree in a relevant area
- Knowledge of additional programming technologies including Java, C++ and Go
- Experience with developing or working on one or more of the following areas:
- Data science, machine learning models and AI
- Mathematical or engineering modelling systems
- Optimisation applications
- A unique skill set that could enrich the capabilities of the team, such as:
- A cloud engineering or systems administration
- Cybersecurity expertise or certifications
- Interest or experience in new technologies, especially Rust and WebAssembly
- An interest in developing skills such as leading projects, building client relationships, creating proposals, leadership
At decisionLab, we are all about helping our clients leverage data and provide insights to grow their businesses whilst providing an environment where our people can learn, enjoy themselves and grow their careers.
Our people are creative and they are constantly innovating to solve tough and interesting problems for our clients. The work is challenging, varied and rewarding. In the past 12 months, we’ve:
- developed a tool that improves a major water company’s resilience to major bursts
- created a cutting-edge deep reinforcement learning capability that we’ve been training on how to protect a ship under attack, optimise radio spectrum allocation much faster than before, and predict how cyber threats could develop in the future
- produced a tool to help spot illegal mining
- deployed one of our AI tools on a warship where it predicts engine failure
- delivered one of the most advanced and visually interactive agent based models of a global-scale maintenance model for gas turbines
- won 7 hackathons, including the international UK-Canada Bombardier AI Challenge.
You’ll join a dynamic group of talented modellers, optimisation experts, simulation creators, data scientists and machine learning experts and software engineers, who work together on projects, and develop and apply a range of skills. And you’ll get a chance to work with our clients, which include Rolls-Royce, Siemens, Babcock International, the Royal Navy, the Defence and Security Accelerator, Dstl, GlaxoSmithKline, the Canal & River Trust and numerous utility companies.
Our office is in Vauxhall, central London. However, we do support remote working within the UK, so location is not an inhibitor to joining decisionLab.
This is a full-time permanent role. Our standard working hours are 40 hours per week.
What’s in it for you
- A profit-share bonus scheme
- 25 days of annual leave plus bank holidays
- Leave purchase scheme
- Flexible working - flexitime and remote working
- Pension Scheme
- Cycle2Work Scheme
- Free Railcard
- £50 birthday voucher
- Regular Socials
- Online and high street discounts scheme
- Free fruit and refreshments